My work on
Together We Can Build Safe, Healthy, Active Communities
It is important for citizens of District 6 to get a sense of the body of work done as your HRM representative since 2016. The following is a brief outline of the capital projects spearheaded by me. In addition, there is a list of projects, non-profit organizations and community groups/events that I have created, led or supported.
- Dartmouth North Outdoor Public Library $1 million dollar project - ($500k) TD Bank, ($250k) Federal Government, & ($250k) HRM.
- Pathway between Farrell St. & Albro Lake Rd. made safer by adding more lights and cutting back brush.
- Farrell Park clean up, in partnership with the landowner NS Power. All brush cut back, trail system added and paths now well lit.
- New basketball court on Farrell St. next to Boys & Girls Club.
- Cyril Smith Park made accessible with path to the beach and an accessible water bike.
- New tennis court on Mount Edward Road.
- Bicycle Pump Track in Shubie Park $40k (construction starting soon).
- Chelsie Probert reflection area in Farrell Park $10k.
Capital Projects (cont'd)
- Ellenvale Run upgrade project -$13.5 million. (Phases 1 to 3 completed - $8.1 million.) (Phase 4 to be started in 2021 - $5.4 million)
- HRM’s first outdoor pickleball only courts in Morash Park
- New basketball courts in Landrace Park
- New basketball courts, playground & skate park next to Caledonia Junior High
- New steps, bridges and wharf in Shubie Park
- Hartlen Street Connector. HRM purchased two buildings to create the connector. Demolition and construction in fall 2020 - $1 million
- Resurfacing of Victoria Road pedway
- Community signs for Port Wallace & Woodlawn - $7k each
- $80k for North Grove (Dartmouth North Community Food Centre) new combined facility with the Dartmouth North Family Centre
- Annual support for North Grove Farm
- Dartmouth North Mural on Victoria Road pedway
- Village on Main, signage and benches
- New windows for MacPhee Centre
- Farrell Hall renovations
- Support to Dartmouth Paddling Clubs
- Numerous schools & sporting teams
- $10k for McIntosh Run bridge
- $5k for mural Village on Main (work to start this summer)
- $5k for the Port Wallace Church Community electronic sign
- For the Boys & Girls Club, acquired a retired Halifax Transit Access-A-Bus
Programs & Events
- Mobile Food Market Program in East Dartmouth
- Square Roots Free Produce Bundles in East Dartmouth
- Annual International High School Student reception at City Hall (Prince Andrew & Dartmouth High Schools)
- PA High School Young Women’s leadership reception at City Hall
- Shubie Park Annual Christmas Tree Lighting
- East Dartmouth Annual Christmas Tree Lighting at the East Dartmouth Community Centre
- Litter Does Not Belong Here advertising campaign
Agencies & Community Groups
- Take Action Society
- Farrell Hall Benevolent Society
- Dartmouth North Echo Community Newspaper
- Port Wallis United Church
- Freedom Foundation
- Bryony House